Two users, one query, two optimizer plans

  • From: Paul Baumgartel <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:25:48 -0500

User A is schema owner.  User B has select on user A's objects, and is
subject to row-level security policy on user A's objects.  (Row-level
security predicate function returns empty string if user issuing SQL is
owner of object).

I have one query in particular that produces different optimizer plans
depending on whether it's run by user A or user B.

The plan produced by user A (schema owner) is

| Id  | Operation                     | Name                | Rows  | Bytes
| Cost  |
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT              |                     |     1 |    98
|   689 |
|   1 |  SORT GROUP BY                |                     |     1 |    98
|   689 |
|   2 |   MERGE JOIN CARTESIAN        |                     |   203 | 19894
|   688 |
|   3 |    TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID| DM_ISSUEGRANT       |     1 |    88
|     1 |
|   4 |     INDEX RANGE SCAN          | DM_ISSUEGRANT_IX01  |     1 |
|     1 |
|   5 |    BUFFER SORT                |                     |   162K|
1588K|   687 |
|   6 |     TABLE ACCESS FULL         | DM_GRANTPARTICIPANT |   162K|
1588K|   686 |

This plan is inefficient (see full table scan at ID 6) and query takes
approximately 35 minutes to run.

The plan produced by user B is

| Id  | Operation                      | Name                     | Rows  |
Bytes | Cost  |
|   0 | SELECT STATEMENT               |                          |     1
|   115 |     3 |
|   1 |  SORT GROUP BY                 |                          |     1
|   115 |     3 |
|   2 |   MERGE JOIN CARTESIAN         |                          |     1
|   115 |     2 |
|   3 |    TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID | DM_GRANTPARTICIPANT      |     1
|    27 |     1 |
|   4 |     INDEX RANGE SCAN           | DM_GRANTPARTICIPANT_IX03 |     1
|       |     1 |
|   5 |    BUFFER SORT                 |                          |     1
|    88 |     2 |
|   6 |     TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID| DM_ISSUEGRANT            |     1
|    88 |     1 |
|   7 |      INDEX RANGE SCAN          | DM_ISSUEGRANT_IX01       |     1
|       |     1 |

and takes a couple of minutes.

For each table subject to row-level security policy, the RLS view is of the
form

My theory at this point is that RLS is causing the discrepancy in optimizer
plans.  Has anyone seen this?  Is there another reason why the plans would
differ?

Thanks,

--
Paul Baumgartel