Re: Trying to find good candidate / objects for re-org in SAP Databases --Weekly objects list, Monthly Objects list and Once in a while ( six month once )

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 08:26:27 -0500 (CDT)

Raja writes:

> I am trying to find the good candidate / objects for reorg in SAP
> databases. We are planning to do,
>
> We are planning to do weekly reorg, monthly once and every six month once.
> Accordingly we need to identify the objects and schedule the re-org. Any
> one in the group, provide assistance on that.

Unlike some database platforms (like MSSQL), I would question the need for
any reorg in Oracle.  The only time I do reorgs are in special cases, like
for our upcoming data archival project, where a table's average size (and,
most likely, that of its associated indexes) will be permanently reduced.
Tom Kyte has a great writeup on the how and the why for reorgs:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/askto/f?p=100:11:::::P11_QUESTION_ID:35336203098853

If that URL gets mangled, try: http://tinyurl.com/asktomreorg

GL!

Rich