Trying to Simulate a disk failure for one of the disks used by ASM disk group

  • From: Hanan Hit <hithanan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle L <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 16:15:46 -0700

Hi All,

I am sorry for the large distribution but I am somehow hitting a wall.

I have a new 12c single instance install (Oracle Database 12c Enterprise
Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production) using ASM on RHEL 6.5.

The underline storage array that I am using is MD-1220 from HP.

I have total of 24 drives that each presented as a single drives.

Using ASMlib.

I was able to create the ASM instance using two disk groups (DATADG with 16
drives and FRADG with 8 disks). I am using Normal Redundancy.

All drives were labeled (first 1M).

Here are the compatibility details of both disk groups:

GROUP_NUMBER NAME
------------ ------------------------------
COMPATIBILITY
DATABASE_COMPATIBILITY
           2 FRADG
12.1.0.0.0
12.1.0.0.0

           1 DATADG
12.1.0.0.0
12.1.0.0.0

I also modified the disk repair time for the given disk to 6 hours from the
default of 3.6 hours .

SQL> show parameter disk_

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
asm_diskgroups                       string      FRADG, DATADG
asm_diskstring                       string      ORCL:*

Now I am trying  to simulate  a failure of one disk (that of course shouldn’t
fail  the DATADG).

In the first test we physically plug out one drive (found the right device) and
the DATADG was dismounted (to my surprise).  This obviously didn’t work as I
expected. I don’t think it’s a fat finger issue.

In the second test after opening a SR with Oracle, I modified the permission
for the device during the run, rescan the drives but all is functioning well
and not failed disk were encountered.

# chmod 000  /dev/sdd1

# /etc/init.d/oracleasm scandisks
Scanning the system for Oracle ASMLib disks:               [  OK  ]

So finally, is there a better way to logically simulate  a disk failure with
Normal Redundancy and while using my infrastructure?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Best,
        Hanan