RE: To foreign key or not to foreign key

  • From: "Lex de Haan" <lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:20:30 +0100

you are asking two things, right?
all foreign keys (and other constraints) should be declared in the database
-- there is (should be) no discussion about that. period.

whether or not to *index* your foreign keys, that's a different matter.
Indexes slow down DML, and the locking issues with unindexed foreign keys
only occur in certain scenarios, all well documented. having 15 indexed
foreign keys in a demanding OLTP environment does not sound fun to me.

Hope this helps, cheers,

Lex.

Tom Kyte Seminar: http://www.naturaljoin.nl/events/seminars.html