Re: Thoughts on implicit/auto COMMITs

  • From: Arian Stijf <arian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 10:12:41 +0100

Hi,

in my opinion this breaks the A(tomicity) of ACID.
E.g. a transaction consisting of two dependent inserts (Parent/child), and the first insert is commited before the second, then the database crashes.

Regards,

Arian

On 14-Mar-18 16:57, Rich J wrote:

Hey all,

As a solo DBA responsible for a number of SQL Servers in addition to Oracle, I try to read up on both.  One of the (more respected) SQL Server team blogs had this entry:

https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2018/02/set-implicit_transactions-one-hell-bad-idea/

..where they advocate the default auto-commit because otherwise the row (or page, or table) is locked should someone forget to COMMIT.

This seems like an extraordinarily bad idea for anything but ad-hoc or one-off DML (without getting into a sidebar on that particular practice), whether Oracle or SQL Server or whatever.

Or is it just me and some old-fashioned narrow RDBMS thinking?

Rich