RE: The best way to get statistics for a table and dependants

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:22:57 -0700

I beg to differ. I never do it this way - at least not where it counts: in production.

the best way to get statistics in a table(without histograms) is
exec dbms_stats.gather_table_stats(user,'T', stattab=>'<xyz>', statid=>'<backup>');

Always have a way to back out what you're doing.

In real estate the mantra is "location, location, location"

for a dba it is (or ought to be) "backup, backup, backup"
and know and test how to restore.

At 06:55 AM 3/10/2004, you wrote:
Juan,

If this is a question, then the answer is yes. I use this all the time.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

-----Original Message----- From: Juan Cachito Reyes Pacheco [mailto:jreyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 8:30 AM To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: The best way to get statistics for a table and dependants

Hi, one question please in 9i the best way to get statistics in a table(without histograms) is

exec dbms_stats.gather_table_stats(user,'T')

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA
Centrex Consulting Corporation
http://www.centrexcc.com