Re: Tablespace extending issue

  • From: John Thomas <jt2354@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L Group <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 20:33:51 +0000

Deepak,

As to your last question, I guess your block size is 8K?

8*128=1024K or 1M.

As you say your tablespaces are 3-5TB and you are using 30GB datafiles, my
guess would be you have a lot of datafiles that are nearly full and no
contiguous space available. You have over 100 datafiles presumably? Seems
strange it can't find 1MB though. I assume PCTINCREASE is set to zero?

If a rebuild is in prospect, I'd suggest looking at bigfile tablespaces.

Good luck,

JT

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 at 21:26 Deepak Sharma <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

We're seeing issue with a few particularly very large index tablespaces
(3-5TB range) with allocating extents.

When we look at the free space there's plenty free (e.g. 40-50gb) but
sometimes still get cannot allocate error.

The tablespace has been created using something similar as below:

create tablespace <ts_name>
datafile
'...' size 32767M,
'...' size 32767M,
extent management local autoallocate
segment space management auto;

Below are few examples of the error and Initial/Next extent sizes from
dba_segments :

1) ORA-3234: unable to extend index <INDEX1> subpartition <SPARTxyz> by
128 in tablespace <TS_1>

SEGMENT_NAME PARTITION_NAME EXTENTS INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT
<INDEX1> <SPARTxyz> 44 65536 1048576

2) ORA-3234: unable to extend index <INDEX2> subpartition <SPARTpqr> by
1024 in tablespace <TS_1>

SEGMENT_NAME PARTITION_NAME EXTENTS INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT
<INDEX2> <SPARTpqr> 139 65536 1048576

In above case, even though the next extent size is 1M, why does the error
say 'unable to extend ... by 128' in first case?