TRIGGERS

  • From: Kean Jacinta <jacintakean@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 00:16:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi ,

I have been sending bit and pieces of question  into
this forum. I manage to go this far, but then i am
stuck here again...

I have created :
table name  : myclass
table column : id , name, type
primary key : id

sequence: myclassseq

This is my trigger body

BEGIN

  IF INSERTING THEN

     IF :NEW.id IS NULL THEN
     SELECT myclassseq.NEXTVAL INTO :NEW.id FROM DUAL;

     END IF;

   END IF;

END;

Currently the table contains values :

ID   name    type
---  -----   -----
1     BT      8
2     BI      8
3     BA      8

NOte : ID column is set as primary

Q1) I want to be able to insert into myclass table as
well with this statement.

insert into myclass (id, name, type) values (2, 'BK'
8)

Since the ID 2 is alrdy existed , then it will prompt
error stating that the column is unique. How to do a
checking for the unique key ? This is to avoid the
system generated ORA error messsages. If i can do
checking in my trigger, before inserting then this
error can be eliminated .

Q2) Maybe the above technique is not good enough. Can
you please recommend the best practice i can follow to
implement auto insert seq no into mytable with unique
key checking.

Your help is very much appreciated . Thank YOu

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html