Re: TNSNAMES Management

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 00:51:42 +1000

Goulet, Richard wrote,on my timestamp of 21/10/2008 12:57 AM:

I'm looking for what people use today now that Onames has become history. This is a multi location within and outside the US and managing TNSNAMES.ORA files is well a PAIN. I'm especially interested in anyone who has or is using TnsManager from Andrew Barry (_http://www.shutdownabort.com/tnsmanager/_), especially with regard to support.

Shared Wintel drive, specific folder with tnsnames.ora.
Master copy in central site, gets replicated to all
the distributed file servers with this shared drive.
Workstations using two-tier c/s are configured to look
for tnsnames in shared drive.  Three-tier app servers
simply have tnsnames pushed via ftp every time a refresh
is needed.

Quick and above all: much, much simpler and easier
to maintain than all that OID rigmarole.  Particularly
in an AD environment.  (Yes, I *am* aware OID can talk
with ad: that is *not* the point)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto