Re: TNS Resolution

  • From: Jonathan Knight <knightjck_work@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:26:51 -0800 (PST)

First, thanks for the replies so far.  Here's what
I've found:

Yes, it is a Windows 2000 client with multiple Oracle
Homes.
I have searched the entire registry and there are no
references to TNS_ADMIN.

tnsping doesn't give any additional information.
Below is the entire output from tnsping:

C:\Documents and Settings\JonK>tnsping clsdev.world

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.0.0
- Production on 18-JAN-2006 09:45:21

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation.  All rights
reserved.

Attempting to contact
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=ud505)(PORT=1521))
OK (110 msec)

C:\Documents and Settings\JonK>

Below is a connection trace as reported by
SQL*Navigator.  It shows that the tnsnames.ora from
the correct oracle home is being used.

oci.dll found
2) Oracle Home Key is SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME1
Looking for TNS_ADMIN environmental variable
TNS_ADMIN environmental variable doesnt exist,
looking for TNS_ADMIN reg key using home key:
>SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME1<
Oracle Path is now C:\ora817NT\network\ADMIN
Looking for C:\ora817NT\network\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora
tnsnames.ora found

I don't have access to the particular box in question
(Data Security has it locked down - it's a development
box, go figure!), so I can't verify the tns entry on
the server.  However, this tns entry allows other
developers to connect to the instance without a
problem.

I will continue to try to verify the tnsnames.ora
entry on the server.  Until then, is there anything
else I can check?

Thanks,
Jon

http://mail.yahoo.com