Re: Synchronizing database data - intercontinental dependencies...

  • From: August Spier <gus.spier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:48:14 -0500

On Feb 13, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Nigel Thomas wrote:

Marcus

Multi-master replication is a bitch (logically as well as technically). Ideally you want to know where / when data is updated; and if possible have a single master for each row, or at least a well understood conflict resolution policy.
<SNIP>

I worked once on a multimaster replication implementation where we associated individual rows with the owning master site by assigning a series of numbers to each master site ... thus, EUROPE primary key might be between 1000000000 to 1999999999; PACIFIC primary key ranged between 2000000000 to 299999999, etc.

It works great as long as you can be assured you're never going to run out of numbers.

r,

Gus