RE: Survey: Which Linux desktop would you run a test of Oracle on and why?

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:27:54 -0500

I did a side-by-side test of Solaris x86 (probably release 7x or so) and
Windows 2000 about 5 years ago and didn't see much difference.  I "split"
a one or two CPU Intel server with 4 internal drives down the middle,
installing Solaris x86 on one half of the first drive and Win2k on the
other.  Half of each of the other drives was dedicated to each OS.

I then installed the same release of Oracle8 (or 8i, can't remember) in
each OS and created identical databases, spread across the 4 drives.  Then
I would alternate booting each OS and running some home-grown
"stress-testing" scripts against identical tables/indexes in each
database.  The scripts did massive Selects, Inserts, Updates, and Deletes.
 Can't remember how many sessions of the scripts I ran in parallel - not
that many, probably about 4 or 5.

Anyway, the overall times were so close to the same that it wasn't
significant.  I do remember that the database under each OS seemed to
consistently "favor", say, Inserts over Updates or some such, doing them
faster than the other.  Don't know if it was the OS or just Oracle's port
to that OS.

For stability and flexibility, I sure preferred Solaris x86 to Win2k.  I
had several Solaris Admins around, so I didn't have to do the support
myself.  IMHO it would be worth learning to avoid Windows.  Now I have
several skilled UNIX Admins who keep our HP-UX and Linux servers hummin',
so I still get to be just the DBA.

It was a fun little exercise in any case.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

   The devil made me do it the first time,
   The second time I done it on my own.
      - Billy Joe Shaver, "Black Rose"

"Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
08/10/2005 04:31 PM
Please respond to Rich.Jesse

        To:     "Mladen Gogala" <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:     <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject:        RE: Survey:  Which Linux desktop would you run a
test of Oracle on and why?

Hmmmm....hadn't thought of that.  I don't think I'd like it as a
desktop, but I'm thinking I'd love to try it as a server.

Thanks for the idea!

Rich