Re: Stuck session help

  • From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 18:13:26 -0700 (PDT)

Questions for you:

Pt1) Does Oracle automatically kill the session after
a timeout period?

Pt2) What does your application do after the
'sticking' followed by the Oracle timeout?

--- Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> We've got an application that is having problems
> with the
> processing becoming 'stuck'. I'm now stuck trying to

I've seen 'sticking' applications (connected via
JDBC), but I was not aware of the Metalink 'bug'
discussed here.  Our application workaround was a big
problem because the 'connection object' did not have a
robust way to recover after 'sticking' nor after
Oracle's timeout, and therefore the application
process failed. We attributed our 'sticking' to a poor
network, because it only seemed to happen in one of
our client buildings, but not to other users of the
web tier. Maybe we missed the Metalink 'bug', I don't
have any way to know, now.

Regarding my Pt2 question, I remember researching
Metalink (it was over a year ago, sorry) and finding
that Oracle's TOPLink product had a 'connection
object' designed to perform a robust connection
recovery. It is possible to design something that
'reconnects' if there is some type of failure, but
'usually' developers don't build connect objects with
this much detail in error handling. The Metalink
discussions of this were helpful.

Good luck.

Regards,

Mike Thomas