Re: Stragne Recovery problem

  • From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <rshamsud@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oramail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:35:41 -0500

Rich
This is definitely not an expected behavior. Can you please clarify following ?

1. Can you post the exact command sequence that you used ?
2. From your posting, it looks like you did NOT use recover command at all. Is that true ?
3. Do you have autorecovery turned on in SQLPLUS ?
4. Are you using rman to do this recovery ?

Rich Holland [oramail] wrote:

They're numbers I posted as an example.  There were about 250 archived redo
logs over the two week period.  My reasoning was that even if we opened and
closed the copy of the database on B, once the control files were re-copied
from A to B two weeks later, the SCN in the control files would be newer
than that in the data files, so the data files would need recovery.  In our
case, they recovered from the FIRST redo log file (e.g. 8355 in my example),
and then said the database was consistent, and the log sequence number was
set immediately to 8401 (I guess based on the current log sequence number of
the online redo which were copied again with the control files a couple
weeks after the initial copy...

I was surprised it (1) didn't recover through the ~250 log files and (2)
considered the database consistent and let us open it, even though it's
missing the last 2 weeks worth of data.

Thanks,
Rich