Re: Storing single numbers in the database

  • From: "Sandra Becker" <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 13:04:59 -0600

Paul,

The developer believes that numbers are just characters, same as letters,
ergo they are treated the same way in the database.  I know that the values
are stored with different types, but beyond that, I don't know what issues
could bite me.  I have seen code for other columns defined as CHAR or
VARCHAR2 that use <, >, and <> to pull the desired rows.  Would this be
relevant to the discussion as well?

Sandy

 The developer doesn't want to translate?  What, he thinks 0 and 1 are
letters?