Re: StorEdge 3310: RAID and configuration question

  • From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:14:08 -0700

You can't make a decision on how to architect a system based solely on the

components at hand.

There are many things to consider:

is the db to be read mostly, read only, oltp?

low, medium or high transaction rates?  ( you define based on HW
capability )

number of users?

Criticality of performance?

For instance, RAID 5 may be entirely suitable for an application that has
low
performance requirements, and you need more space than you can get
from a RAID10.

enough for now.

Jared

"Naveen, Nahata (IE10)" <Naveen.Nahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
06/08/2004 04:50 AM
Please respond to
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
StorEdge 3310: RAID and configuration question

Hi All,

I have a Sun v440 4 cpu 8GB ram with Sun StorEdge 3310 with 5x70 GB HDDs.

Let me give you three scenarios:

1. On the StorEdge 3310 Array configure RAID 1+0 Using 4 disks and use one
as a local hot spare
2. Configure RAID 5 on the 3310 Array
3. Put 2 disks on the other scsi channel and configure 2 RAID-1s and use
the
fifth disk as global spare.

My question is, which one of the 3 choices is better and whether the third
one is feasible? Moreover, if anyone has any other idea, please let me
know.

In addition to the above I have another question:

In addition to the above I would like to know the pros/cons of Software
mirroring?

Regards,
Naveen Nahata