Re: Sorting Large Amounts of Data- Oracle to SAS, Part Deux

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:05:13 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Greg, you have just verified my fears of all my research...sniff,
sniff..

This is a simple select with a pass thru query from SAS, over the wire.  It is
1.4 million rows, using a sorted_hash_cluster to sort the data for them so they
won't do a group by and an order by in their query.

The statement with both, without the sorted hash cluster takes an unknown
amount of time-  they just couldn't get it to complete.  The sorted hash
cluster completes in 4 hrs.

Of course, now the boss wants to know-  can I incorporate parallel?  So much
for that idea...  We are pretty far into this design at this point, but any
other ideas are always welcome!
Thanks!

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."