Snapshot DB's in Exadata?

  • From: Aaron Leonard <aachleon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:12:08 -0600

Good afternoon.

I'm looking for looking for some advice from those familiar with Exadata.
We're currently evaluating a move to Exadata, but our business processes
require near-instantaneous snapshot functionality that I don't know if an
Exadata system can provide.

On various schedules, we take snapshots (EMC storage), mount them r/w to
different mountpoints and startup Oracle instances on those.  The point is
to have fast, point-in-time views of our data, which can be modified and
reported on for an extended period of time.  At any one time, we have up to
20 different snapshot databases running.   Some are retained up to 3 months
before we recreated them from a new snapshot.

My struggle with giving a thumbs up on Exadata is....how do I make this
happen in Exadata?  Changing the existing business processes really isn't an
option without significant work (possibly years worth) and having to do that
really takes away Exadata's appeal.  Creating true clones would
significantly slow down our overall batch process workflow and negate the
justification (which is speeding up that workflow) for moving to Exadata.
What are my options, if any?  I guess my hope is that Exadata has some
undocumented functionality internal to it that does this...  Realistically,
it probably does not, but since I can't just download one of these and test
it out, I have to ask.  Any thoughts?  Some insight would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron