Re: Slow Database Shutdown Time

  • From: jungwolf <spatenau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 09:48:13 -0500

On 6/8/05, Marquez, Chris <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Man I knew I was going to get *smart* comments when I wrote this post.
> But hey even "Shutdown abort" is slow sometimes.
> Any other *good* ideas... :0)
...and...
>Sorry Mark...good question;
>Oracle 9203
>AIX 5.3
>Other DBA's claim that the same app running on;
>Oracle 9203
>RH Linux 3
>shuts down fast *every* time!?

Shutdown abort can be slow?  Shutdown immediate is fast for low #
connections and slow for high # connections?  Shutting down an another
OS is always fast (regardless of # of connections)?

Obviously this suggests an OS issue.  Is AIX having trouble killing
processes, or releasing file handles, or something?  I've never worked
on AIX so that is pure speculation.

Steven