RE: Slightly OT - Mysql Training

  • From: "Mary Bahrami" <mbahrami@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weaver1308@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:14:14 -0700

I recently took the MySql for DBA's class and agree that it was a waste
of time; it was geared to people new to databases in general and the
instructor couldn't answer many questions outside the class material.

I also took the performance tuning class, which was taught by a guy who
had worked in the mysql performance group and done consulting.  He was
excellent, and could discuss differences between oracle, sql server, and
mysql optimizers, etc.

The best way to get up to speed is to install mysql and use the
extensive docs at mysql.com (check the user notes at the bottom of each
page, one corrected the spelling of a system variable).   Diffs from
oracle I had to research were binlog handling (they don't rotate
automatically) and handling > 1 install per server.  The slowquery log
is nice.

The optimizer is a bit funny, use 'explain' a lot while you learn.
mysql 5.0 did a FTS for the statement "select * where col1=5" ....col1
is defined as a varchar column.  Buried in the performance class notes
is the statement 'avoid implicit conversions', with no further
explanation.