Re: Single server vs multiple servers for multiple databases

  • From: Darren Darnell <darren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:15:49 -0500

Initial thought, PeopleSoft apps?  Where are the databases for demo,
dev & qa going to run? You're going to need more servers when it comes
time to upgrade. :)

If you've got 2 servers for production, use DataGuard between them for
redundancy.  This will allow for minimal downtime for
planned/unplanned outages.  Split your primary databases for each app
between the 2 servers with the corresponding standby running on the
opposite server.

If you've got 2 servers total.  I'm not sure.  It depends upon the
workload.  I'd still leverage DataGuard though.  Either split as I
mentioned above, with dev & qa with the standby database.  Or, put all
the prod databases on one server and use the other for dev, qa &
standbys.

DD