Re: Shrinking PGA of snp processes

  • From: Christo Kutrovsky <kutrovsky.oracle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zhu chao <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:12:38 -0400

Oopsy .. right, snp processes where in 8 :)

Yes, starting from 9i, if you use automatic pga, pga memory is
released back to OS as needed, without exiting the process.

Under certain OSes (solaris for example) it's allocated from
"anonymous" memory, while manual pga is allocated from "heap" memory.
Not sure on the details behind heap vs anon, i just know that auto-pga
can be released on demand.

And with auto-pga in 9i, you can use up to 4 gb (actually 3.5 gb, but
that's kind-a of a bug/limitation) of workarea for single sort. You
can also use multiple areas (say 2 hashesh and 1 sort) and use huge
amounts of memory for bulk/dump queries thus 1 process can use much
more memory, and release it back as needed.