Shared Server

  • From: "Nick Yonko" <nyonko@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 08:50:01 -0700

In the Oracle documentation, it indicates that the only parameter needed for
enabling share servers is to set the 'SHARED_SERVERS' parameter to a non
zero value.  If the 'DISPATCHERS' parameter is neglected, Oracle will
instantiate 1 dispatcher by default to handle shared server traffic.

My SHARED_SERVER parameter is set to '2' and my DISPATCHERS parameter is set
to "(protocol=TCP)".  Nonetheless, I cannot connect to the server with
anything but dedicated connections (verified by querying the v$sessions
view).

I have nothing in my sqlnet.ora file or my tnsnames.ora file that would
force a dedicated connection to the server.