Sharding

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 02:37:07 -0400

Oracle 12.2 will, if the "new features" articles are to be believed, introduce sharding. Sharding is a technique from the "shared nothing" world. The way this is implemented in MongoDB, which is the only reference implementation that I know of, is to have several different databases, each containing a portion of the data, and running a part of the SQL, which will later be combined into the result.

However, this introduces the "shared nothing" clustering, sort of DPF in the DB2 world. How does that get along with the RAC philosophy? In addition to NUMA systems like Solaris T5, now we will have sharding, yet another technology that competes with RAC. I wonder about RAC and how is it positioned. Obviously, cloud doesn't lend itself to RAC. So, what is the future of the RAC? Are we looking at the end of the RAC era?

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA