Re: Server shared as a file server

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dcosta@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:54:29 -0600

Dias,

> to not use a machine
> with Oracle database server simultaneously as a file server ?

I think you understand the situation. If a server is used for two
purposes, there may not be enough resources for both uses. What is the
usage pattern for the file server? Is it relatively stable or are
there heavy spikes when large files are retrieved? Is the database
critical? Do the heavy usage patterns differ in time - ie. is the
database used more in the morning and the file server more in the
afternoon? My understanding is that file servers mainly use the I/O
subsystem. Is there a possibility of separating the I/O so there is
less contention?

Dennis Williams