Re: Seeking advice on potential 10g upgrade

  • From: Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:45:33 -0700

Thank you all for the great responses - please, keep them coming!

One thing I need to clarify is that this is not a new project. It's a largish database-backed website which is currently running on 9i, and was upgraded from 8i some time ago by folks who probably really didn't know what they were doing. So it's working ok now, but I don't know at this point what time-bombs may be lurking within. I know that they have made liberal use of optimizer hints, and I'm afraid that those may cause us grief if we upgrade.

janine

On Aug 28, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Dennis Williams wrote:

Janine,

Well, you could wait until Oracle 11q or whatever Oracle decides to call the next release comes out and 10g is considered near obsolescence, then upgrade! I'm told Oracle tries to keep an 18- month cycle of major releases, so the next one can't be far away.
I think you have the bets opportunity to try out 10g. There is usually less risk with a new project. There will be other teething pains so if you stumble with 10g it won't be so noticeable. A motivated client who is asking you to try 10g on them, so they are less likely to blame you if there are some issues.
Someone on this list recently said that they saw fewer issues with 10g than with 8i. And you can implement 10g R2 now. I say go for it!

Dennis Williams

On 8/27/06, Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi all,

I used to be a regular reader of this list, but work took me in
another direction and I've been away the last few months.  However,
life is circular and so here I am back again with another Oracle
consulting job.

I have kept all of my clients on 9i up to now, because the last time
I was reading this list there was still considerable skepticism about
the stability of 10g, especially on Linux which is what all our
installations use.  But this new client wants to use 10g, so I have
many questions.  I tried to search the archives, but I came up with
way too many matches and many were several years old and so probably
out of date.

My questions... any insight would be much appreciated, as would links
to resources that might help.

- is 10g on Linux ready for production use yet?  If not, where are
the problem areas?
- have people experienced any significant problems when upgrading
from 9i to 10g?
- is there an independent source to read about the actual
improvements in 10g over 9i (ie, not just what Oracle says has been
improved)?

Basically, I have a situation where I'm telling the client "it's
running well, let's leave it alone and put our efforts into other
areas" and the client is chomping at the bit to upgrade to 10g
because he thinks he is going to see lots of improvements.  Areas
where he says he expects to see improvement are:
- Oracle Text
- materialized views
- automatically managed tablespaces
- overall easier DBA

I've looked at the "new feature guide" for 10g Release 2 and I see
some of these things mentioned, but of course that doesn't mean the
improvements are actually significant or that they outweigh the
stability risks of upgrading.

So, any and all suggestions, war stories, encouragement, etc
welcomed!  Pointers on good books for someone who is most familiar
with 8i to get up to speed with 10g are needed also.

Thanks!!!

janine