Re: SWAP Space Confusion Note 1354525.1

  • From: Oleksandr Denysenko <odenysenko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:45:44 +0200

Chris,
first of all - move to HugePages, because of much smaller PageTables
and to avoid performance penalty by addressing such large memory

second - don't allocate 80% of Linux memory to Oracle,
because the rest needed not only for 'system memory',
but for PageTables/Cache/processes(including Oracle) private structures
like call stack, local variables e.t.c

additionally - you don't have full control over PGA size - it's only
recommended value,
so oracle may overuse it if more memory needed.
PS:
Recently I have seen situation where 40% of 96GB RAM was dedicated to Oracle
instance,
and just after 15 minutes of running the application(with about of 1500
connected users)
HUGE SWAPPING was started - the reason was bad SQL plans with high PGA demand

--
Best Regards,

     Oleksandr Denysenko

28.01.2013 21:27, Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx ïèøåò: