Re: SGA_MAX_SIZE on Solaris

  • From: Tim Johnston <tjohnston@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:11:24 -0500

Someone just pointed out the following to me... When I performed this test on my system, the following message was in my alert log...

WARNING: -------------------------------
WARNING: oradism not set up correctly.
 Dynamic ISM can not be locked. Please
 setup oradism, or unset sga_max_size.
 [diagnostic 0, 16, 4074]

Oops... Guess I should have checked that...

:-)

I'll try and do some more investigation on this when I get a chance...

Tim

Tim Johnston wrote:

Ah ha... Excellent info in the note... This bit explains the behavior I saw...

Solaris limitation

-------------------

Keep in mind that on most Unix platforms, Oracle9i will allocate sufficient shared memory segment(s) to have a total sized at, or just above the size specified by SGA_MAX_SIZE when the instance is started. The default behavior on Solaris platforms is to lock this/these shared memory segment(s) into physical memory by forcing the use of ISM (Intimate Shared Memory). This is the default behavior of Oracle and is due to the operating system limitation in the shared memory management area. It is not recommended to disable this behavior as a serious performance penalty will be incured.

In Solaris 8, thanks to DISM support (Dynamic Intimate Shared Memory), it is possible to avoid the above limitation and allocate the shared memory segmentsuch that only the active granules in the SGA are located in physical memory. All unused granules will be stored in swap until needed.

Thanks Sten....

Rognes, Sten wrote:

Be careful with using sga_max_size on Solaris (I am assuming that's your
platform). There is a Solaris bug which is claimed to can cause up to a 90%
performance degradation, bug#4675878. This bug affects both Solaris 8 and
earlier releases of Solaris 9. Although there are a Solaris 8 patch
available or in the works for this, I would not recommend using this feature
unless you are on Solaris 9 update 2(4/03) where large page support is
introduced for DISM segments and DISM and ISM performance is similar.
There are some notes on Metalink that will answer your questions below,
check out # 151222.1.

Sten