Rman/Legato/Architecture

  • From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 07:58:18 -0700 (PDT)

Got  a  Questions for all the folks using rman out there.

We are using rman with a legato networker solution.
Now after tuning rman like stting up maxopenfiles, setting the filesperset
doingg work on the maxblocksize.
we have tuned the backup about 2Tb to run in 6-8 hours.
The backup gets 4 tapes and in total  writes to 7 tapes.
the restore took us about 32 hrs which offcourse management didnt like.
one of the ideas pooped around was  .
Is it possible to allocate more tape drives at restore time
e.g  4 tapes drive on backup but 7 on restore
and if we allocate enough extra channels will rman pick  up  the extra 3 tapes
since it did backup on a total of 7 tapes.
this could cut the rerstore time a lot and i'm trying to get  some test
environment to try to test this but anyone out face this issue if so how did
they resolve/fight thru this

Thanks