Re: Restoring a 64 bit database to a 32 bit server

  • From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:01:49 -0700

Well, if you want to save similar info for posterity, I just ran
across another 'gotcha' going the other way.

I am on Windows 2003 Servers, one a 32-bit (production)and the other a
64-bit (test), both running 11.1.0.7.

I attempted to run RMAN Duplicate from the 32-bit to the 64-bit and
encountered errors. Here is the reply I got back from my SR:
The issue is definitely due to the change in the bit version. All the
issues that we have recorded till now are pointing to the difference
in the bit versions only.

Since we do not open the standby database, rman duplicate should be
able to create the standby database on a 64 bit machine. The problem
will occur only  when we try to open the standby database in read
only/read write because we will have to convert the database to a 64
bit version by running certain scripts.

Currently this issue is being looked upon as  the following bug which
is still being worked by the development.

*****************************( Source: BUGDB )*******************************
Article-ID: Bug 8406972  Related: BugMatrix 8406972  Base: <Bug:.-p>
Abstract: ACTIVE DATABASE DUPLICATION 64BITS - 32 BITS  FAILS WITH ORA-12577

Currently the workaround is to  install a 32 bit oracle software on
the test machine and perform the rman duplicate operation. That will
be successful. This is indeed a best practice for high availability
where we recommend to maintain the same OS,Oracle and bit version.

Hope this helps somebody else. I wasted over a week (almost two)
trying to get this figured out.

--
-- Bill Ferguson