Re: Restoring 64 bit database to 32 bit Server

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Radoulov, Dimitre" <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:55:33 -0700

On 9/9/06, Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I'm not missing something, what about restore the controlfile wherever possible and then startup mount (with any p/spfile, db_name is sufficient) and then alter database backup controlfile to trace to get the right commands?

I already have the commands to create the controlfile.

The problem is that a controlfile cannot be created without
the datafiles being present.

I needed the controlfile to restore the datafiles. catch-22.

The files *can* be restored via RMAN DUPLICATE, but the recovery fails.

The database was opened with resetlogs on the 32 bit platform, just to
prove it could be done.  Converting the word size is not as simple as
ML Note 62290.1 intimates.

The instruction in ML for Bug 2555795 allowed recompiling stored code.

As the RMAN DUPLICATE command can restore the files, clealy it can
be done manually. Successfully restoring a 64 bit database to a 32 bit
server may require some magic with dbms_backup_restore.

You could also use the rman resore controlfile from
'<path>/<autobackup_file>' (under dbs or restored as normal file) in
nomount
mode.

Doesn't work.  I think I already documented that in this thread.

Thanks for trying to help.

-- Jared Still Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist