RE: Replacing OPS$ accounts

  • From: "Blanchard, William" <wblanchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Neil Chandler" <neil_chandler@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracledba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:58:39 -0500

"I not sure that you have stated what you are trying to achieve here"
Good question ;-).  It's Friday and I need a beer ;-).

We have remote_os_authent set to true so that the application - on a
different server - can authenticate the users once they have logged into
the application (an SSO of sorts).  I guess what I'm really looking for
is the "best practice" to secure the database given the constraints of
having the OPS$ accounts.  I don't mind if the users can get into the
database via the application, the issue is that this also means they can
log into the db using sqlplus, etc.

WGB

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:02:34 -0500
From: wblanchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; oracledba@xxxxxxxxxxx

Greetings,

We have a legacy app that is currently using OPS$ accounts to log the
users into the database.  Since this is a purchased application that is
no longer supported by the company we purchased it from, changing the
code isn't possible.  Has anyone found a way to get rid of these
accounts?  If not, is there a "best practice" for locking down the OPS$
accounts?

Thank you,

WGB

-

This email and any information, files, or materials transmitted with it

are confidential and are solely for the use of the intended recipient.

If you have received this email in error, please delete it and notify

the sender.

  _____

Get a new e-mail account with Hotmail - Free. Sign-up now.
<http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/>