Re: Refcursor intermittently returns no rows when it should

  • From: Norman Dunbar <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vijaysehgal21@xxxxxxxxx, William Robertson <william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 16:42:40 +0100

Hi Vijay,

On 17/09/15 15:22, vijay sehgal wrote:

The procedure has out parameters which are populated with error message
and code if there's any exception raised. The application ( Java ) logs
these into application log file. Whenever these problems are encountered
we do not see any error message logged.

Just a thought, is it the Java that's failing as opposed to the Oracle code? Are there any of Java's usual "very wordy" stack traces in the application log file by any chance?

If everything is or appears fine in the database, there is a possibility that the problem lies elsewhere. Perhaps?

Perhaps the amount of data coming back to the application is causing some Java exception?

Perhaps there is Unicode data in the returned data and Java can't handle this, unless compiled (on Windows) with a certain setting to enable the Windows application to handle Unicode - I suffered from this problem in one of my own Java utilities which strips crud out of an HTML file - if there were any "smart quotes" for example, the application didn't work correctly. The setting at compile time is:

set JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF8"

One last thing, does the application actually check for the empty ref cursor? It could be that it isn't actually empty but something is causing the application to be unable to process it in the desired manner. I'm thinking this because you mentioned that there are no error messages in the out parameters. It is possible that there were no database errors, but something in the application isn't working,under certain circumstances.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

--