Re: Redo question

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 20:50:35 -0000

It depends on how you're looking and, probably, which version of Oracle.

GTTs do not cause redo, but the undo
on GTTs causes redo, so the redo records
on a GTT have only one half of the usual
forward/backward pair of change vectors.

You can see this easily in a block dump -
but I've never looked in v$logmnr_contents
to see what it does in the sql_redo and sql_undo
for GTTs.

At a lightweight level, the redo entry size for
an operation against a GTT will be smaller than
the equivalent operation against a normal table
(allowing for the array-processing bug on GTTs
in 9i).
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html
Public Appearances - schedule updated 29th Nov 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "rjamya" <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>