Re: Rebuild table

  • From: Adric Norris <landstander668@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:03:32 -0500

I encountered something similar recently, when compressing numerous tables
in an Exadata environment (11.2.0.2).  Most of the time (90-95%
guesstimate)  the rebuilt segments would be placed toward the beginning of
the datafile, but occasionally one would reside near the end... we never did
figure out why Oracle choose to do that (there was *plenty* of freespace
toward the beginning).

Our scripts were setup to begin moving tables/partitions based upon the
position of the final extent, so watching for changes in the reclaimable
space brought the issue to light rather quickly.  Since the tablespace in
question contained only archive data, of which we wanted to compress the
vast majority, we ended up simply creating a new tablespace and moving
everything there.