Re: Re: Large block sizes for OLAP database

  • From: stmontgo@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, stmontgo@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 20:48:46 +0000

Thanks everyone,

The documentation is an adventure

For example , the database config guidelines include guidance on the block size

"Use the maximum block and page size available for tablespaces ((for example, 32K), because it provides good overall performance and also does not impose low limits to the maximum size to which the tablespace can grow, as compared to 4K, 8K,16K sizes."

and then goes on to say....

"At a minimum, separate the data and index tablespaces. Create more tablespaces to separate heavily used tables and their indexes."
dooh, I thought that was so 10 years ago!

On Feb 2, 2009 3:19pm, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If oracle recommend it then sooner or later you'll need to jump

through the hoops of reproducing the issue on a large block size db

with support on an sr!

On 2/2/09, stmontgo@xxxxxxxxx stmontgo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Good day,

> We're jumping into the wonderfull world of Oracle Business Intelligence

> with HR Analytics.

> It looks like we'll be creating an OLAP type of database where Oracle

> recommends

> large block sizes. The database will also contain some metadata for the

> Informatica Configuration

> and HR Analytics portion.

> If I'm looking at larger block sizes and am wondering if I should be

> creating the database with

> a large block size or should I be looking at creating tablespaces with

> larger block sizes

> and leaving the db with a standard 8k size.

> Does anyone have an opion either way?

> Thanks

> Steve

> Our config will look like this