Re: RMAN versus Veritas Backup Exec

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:06:17 +0100

Jeffrey,
We use Veritas NetBackup with RMAN. I'm not sure if that is
possible to do this with BackupExec, but the NBU Oracle agent
integrates RMAN very nicely with Veritas.

The advantages are well known:

Backup mode no longer required
TSPITR
Block level recovery
Backups are catalogued
Tim Gormans excellent routines for use in determining
if you can restore to a point in time.
http://www.evdbt.com/rman_chk_catalog.sql
http://www.evdbt.com/rman_chk_nocatalog.sql

We also have Oracle backups done outside of RMAN:

SAP: We are currently using brbackup, an SAP utility.
These will change to RMAN when I have time to work on it.
The advantage here is a reduction in tape usage and the size
of the backup window. RMAN only backs up used blocks.
File backups get everything, including allocated but unused space.

Oracle 7: These databases are moving to 8i/9i soon, so will
be backed up via RMAN.

HTH

Jared

--