RMAN script help for newbie

  • From: "Doug Gernaat" <dag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:21:16 -0500

i would like to implement a 10.2 rman bkup script that would do the following:

- have a recovery window of 7 days on disk
- backup database as image copy to disk (first run being full copy...
incremental backupsets there after)
- apply the daily incremental backupsets from 7 days prior to the full image
copy(roll it fwd to 7 days ago)
- backup archive logs as image copy to disk
- backup controlfile as image copy to disk
- delete the obsoletes from the 7 day window
- validate backup

these are my settings... non-defaults in bold:

RMAN> show all;

RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO
'/home/oracle/SDEP/rman/bkup/cntrlfile_%F';
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK BACKUP TYPE TO COPY PARALLELISM 1;
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT   '/home/oracle/SDEP/rman/bkup/%U';
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO
'/dbs/apps/oracle/10.2.0/dbs/snapcf_SDEP.f'; # default

RMAN>

i have a script in place that looks like:

{
recover copy of database with tag 'incr_bkup'
until time 'sysdate - 7';
backup incremental level 1 for recover of copy with tag 'incr_bkup' database
plus archivelog;
restore database validate;
delete noprompt obsolete;
}

my understanding is that the first run of this script would create a level 0
image copy since there is not one.
from there on out it would create a level 1 incremental backupset. on the
eighth day... the first incremental
would be applied to the base image copy and would now be obsolete and deleted.

as of right now... this produces backupsets for the archives instead of image
copies. should that be a separate
line with "backup as copy archivelog all;"? i am also having to run "crosscheck
archivelog all;" before my script
runs. appears that my catalog is looking for more archives than i physically
have.

any pointers/advice will be appreciated.

-doug-