RMAN restore into nearly full file system

  • From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:49:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

Recently, when I ran an RMAN restore I got a "no space left on device" error
and
RMAN aborted. Why did the restored data files no longer fit onto the disk from
which they were originally backed up?
(No files had been added to the file system since the backup was taken).

ls showed the same number of bytes before and after the restore. I presume the
problem was with "hidden" space usage such as inode blocks or file indirect
blocks. There was only about 20Mb free on the 80Gb file system, yet 20Mb still
seems quite a lot of degredation in the efficiency of file system metadata
(there were only 5 data files to track). How can I explain the loss of 20Mb
between backing up and restoring the files? (The file system is JFS2, block
size
was 4k, OS is AIX, Oracle 9i (don't ask!))

I want to use this as further evidence to try to deter a manager from routinely
overfilling file systems but I'd really like to be able to explain it better
before doing so (he'll be asking questions!).

Many thanks!

Charlotte