Re: RMAN rant

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:59:33 +1100

Stephane Faroult wrote,on my timestamp of 28/10/2010 7:08 AM:
I have just tried to compile all the RMAN keywords (by "keyword" I mean any
terminal term without space that you find in all those wonderful syntactical
diagrams that brighten up our reading of Oracle reference docs).

You mean you FOUND *any* syntactical diagrams for RMAN?

I like to quote to developers the "Art Poétique" of Boileau, in particular
things such as:
“What is conceived well is expressed clearly.”

Bingo!

RMAN is not too bad in 10gr2. That is indeed the first release in which it's made any sense to me to use it. Previously I simply could not subscribe to the notion that I'd have to learn an entire new language at every point release of Oracle in order to use a backup product...

And that feeling still goes for a lot of other features in the latest releases of Oracle. ASM and the cacophony of IO methods and IO interfaces comes to mind.

No: the "easy and familiar SQL" used to command ASM is NOT easy nor is it FAMILIAR! And don't get me started on the hidden logging of the thing! Nor the multitude of "cluster-specific" file systems and cryptic stuff put out by Oracle in the last 5 years.

Rather than re-inventing the wheel at every new release in order to increase revenue from training and "certifications", it'd do Oracle better to stabilize its current range, commands and features.

M$ and IttyBittyMachines did it, why can't they?
Ah well...
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto