Re: RMAN Question

  • From: Joseph Amalraj <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fred_fred_1@xxxxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 07:56:41 -0800 (PST)

On the new server, you can

  1. Restore controlfile thru' RMAN
  2. alter database mount;
  3. alter database backup controlfile to trace;

  to get the ascii version of the controlfile

  Joseph Amalraj

  Fred Smith <fred_fred_1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I've searched Metalink/Google/and the Oracle 9i RMAN Backup & Recovery book
and can't find an answer.
Wondering if anyone on here might know...

I am trying to find a way to restore an ascii version of the controlfile for
a database I backup through RMAN. Essentially, I backup my database
including the controlfile. So I know that I can restore a controlfile, but
it is a binary version. The problem is, if my server explodes, etc., and I
want to restore the entire database to a new server, I need a copy of my
controlfile (similar to a backup controlfile to trace version of the file)
that I can edit and create my directory structures and build any 'set
newname for datafile' commands that I might need.
How can I restore a version of the controlfile that would allow me to edit
it to do this??

Thanks.
-Fred