RE: RESOURCES ARE NOT FREED WHEN A SESSION DIES ABNORMALLY.

  • From: "Baumgartel, Paul" <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "freelist freelist" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 13:42:28 -0400

I worked on Windows database servers for a couple of years.  You can use
"alter system kill session".  The purpose of orakill is to provide a way
to kill the underlying Oracle process thread if "alter system" doesn't
work--in this way it's analogous to "kill -9 <oracle session PID>  on
Unix/Linux.  Remember, on Windows, Oracle sessions are threads, not
individual processes.

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology