RE: RE: Useful Oracle books

  • From: <ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 9:51:32 -0400

They are different types of books. Dan's book teaches a 'process' for mapping
out SQL statements. Its applicable every where.

Guy Harrisons book is more 'ok we tried this and here is the result'. Most of
it is useful. Some disagree, but the section telling you to convert updates to
cursors with 'where current of' is inaccurate. The rest is good.
I recommend reading it.

Both are useful. Dan's is better. Its a slow read... and not a reference book.
You need to read the whole thing. Guy Harrison's is more of a reference book.

I also liked the little O'reilly SQL Tuning book. Nice little reference book
that you can flip through. Most everything in it is in the documentation, but
its condensed and easy to reference. It's cheap too.

Here is a list of recommended tuning books that a guy in Oracle Support wrote.
I worked with him. He knows what he is doing... Dan's book isn't on it. I'm
sure it will be.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/VL8CI2YJANX1/ref=cm_lm_dp_l_1/104-9801265-8991939