RE : Re: RE : OT: find command on rhel4 not working with mtime

  • From: Marius Raicu <mariu200@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:02:03 +0200 (CEST)

Jared,
Honestly, I didn't searched too far, because I use this find command to clean
the export dumps for some small databases. And as it is executed every week,
the number of files is always 7 so it has virtually no impact on perfs.
But I'll give it a try with xargs, hovewer.
Thanks,

Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
On 7/12/06, Marius Raicu <mariu200@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi,
I'm on RHEL3 and I use something like this, which works

/usr/bin/find /u08/bla/bla/*.* -mtime +31 -print -exec /bin/rm {} \;

You know of course, that '-exec CMD {} \:' is evil.

For simple commands that accept a single argument, xargs is superior.

eg.  /usr/bin/find /u08/bla/bla/*.* -mtime +31 -print | xargs rm

-exec forks and executes a shell for each file, xargs does not.

Try comparing the execution times of both methods.

--
Jared Still

Regards,
Marius

 Yahoo! Mail réinvente le mail ! Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et son
interface révolutionnaire.