Re: RE : Firebird DB - What Does Anyone Know?

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:41:47 -0700 (PDT)

It's probably dangerous to assert that the availability of source code does not
make a product more vunerable. I think given an overall picture of what makes a
product vunerable, the availability of source (and assuming you are running the
product in an unmodified form) clearly adds an element of risk to the use of
such a product. I'm not saying that it's the sole reason not to use the
product, but it should be a serious consideration.

I agree that all software is subject to security vulnerabilities, but I would
suggest that it's not the nature of Open source that makes it more secure.

Instead what makes a product a likely target of penetration testing is the size
of a given products install base and the target value potential that makes a
product more or less likely to be target of hack attempts. That's why you will
see a product such as Oracle or DB2 or SQL Server have larger penetration risk
footprints than say, something obscure like Firebird. As a result of this
conjecture, I would expect that an open source database that is in more
widespread use, like MYSQL, probably has more identified exploites than
something like Firebird.

Additionally I'd suggest that a product like Oracle, which has a large
functional footprint, is more likely to have discoverable vunerabilities than a
smaller functional footprint product (say, MYSQL).

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head...

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON!
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
(Sybex)
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now...
The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in
good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking
the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)
http://pages.sssnet.com/messndal/church/parachurch.pdf

________________________________
 De: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx de la part de Goulet, Richard
Date: mar. 9/15/2009 11:48
À: srcdco@xxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : RE: Firebird DB - What Does Anyone Know?

Scott,

    OH Boy, been a long time since I looked at Firebird, so this may well be
dated.  Yes it is open source, not exactly sql compliant, and very poorly
protected.  A table is a file & the data therein is flat ASCII so very easy to
read.  Great for small projects with a limited number of users and that is not
web attached.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International