Re: RAC with one node as a DR solution

  • From: Kenny Payton <k3nnyp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ckaj111@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 21:00:41 -0400

Continuing with the Data guard theme you could leverage storage or a
filesystem that supports snapshots and read write mounting of such, similar
to zfs or NetApp offerings.   This would allow you to run a non-active Data
Guard instance and take regular snapshots (ie nightly).  The snapshots
could be used to start a second instance thin provisioned  from one of the
snapshots.   This would allow you to continue apply processing on the
standby while your second copy is being used for whatever.   You could
refresh the copy as often or infrequent as you like.   You could even spin
up more than one copy if you like. As long as they reside on the licensed
server there is no additional licensing and storage is minimal, depending
on changes made, since the storage is thin provisioned.

As for licensing you are just paying for your database licenses, no RAC or
Active Data Guard.

Kenny