RE: RAC to NON-RAC and RMAN...

  • From: "Taufner, Kevin" <Kevin.Taufner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:58:59 -0600

Greetings!

Quick question for anyone who can share some insight.

We want to test our backup strategy and ensure we have a valid set of
backups from our production environment.  PROD is on a AIX 5L system
running 9i RAC w/RAW filesystems.  These are all LPARS on the system
physical system, so there's no issue with regard to versioning or OS
patch levels.

However, the only environment we have at the moment to test restores on
is a Development system.  DEV is a non-RAC environment.

I plan on creating an AUX instance on the DEV system to test the PROD
restore for a single tablespace on (there isn't enough space on DEV to
test the whole thing).

However, I'm not familiar enough with RAC to be able to say I'm even
going to be able to do this without any issues.

Has anyone tried this before, or could point me to some good
documentation that might help?

I expect there might be some control file issues, or possibly system
issues, since none of the RAC executables are on the DEV environment...

- Kevin Taufner
  Oracle DBA

  x7512

This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally
privileged and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the
addressee(s). If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying,
forwarding or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this message and all copies and backups thereof.

Thank you.

GIF image