RE: RAC behavior - with Oracle JDBC Thin Driver - is this expected behavior?

  • From: "Pradeep Chetal" <Pradeep.Chetal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bradd Piontek" <piontekdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:31:33 -0500

Thanks

________________________________

From: Bradd Piontek [mailto:piontekdd@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:54 PM
To: Pradeep Chetal
Cc: Oracle L
Subject: Re: RAC behavior - with Oracle JDBC Thin Driver - is this
expected behavior?

I believe the connect string is only one part of the equation. The 10gR2
JDBC thin driver should be able to subscribe to ONS events, but I
believe you have to enable it in the connection pool.
check out
http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/products/rac/index.html for
some examples.

Bradd Piontek
  "Next to doing a good job yourself,
        the greatest joy is in having someone
        else do a first-class job under your
        direction."
 -- William Feather

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Pradeep Chetal
<Pradeep.Chetal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

We have a Java based app that runs with Weblogic and oracle 10gr2 as the
DB.

We use the following for the RAC string for JDBC connection

RAC_STRING =

      jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=

            (FAILOVER=ON)

      (LOAD_BALANCE=ON)

      (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=dingo)(PORT=1521))

      (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=wolf)(PORT=1521))

      (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=msmdb)))

We use this with a 2-node  RAC and all the API calls to our application
are sort of evenly distributed between the 2 nodes.

Now if for some reason, node 1goes down, we see that NOT all the new API
calls go to node-2 RAC. Some of them are lost until we re-start the
application.

I thought the RAC_STRING will be dynamic and will NOT send calls to node
1 if it is down.

Are we missing any configuration parameters here?

Thanks,

-- Pradeep

Pradeep Chetal
Sr. Director - Infrastructure Architecture

Mformation Technologies Inc.
Switchboard: +1 732 692 6200

Visit MFORMATION <http://www.mformation.com> at MWC in Barcelona, Hall 1
Booth A56, Mobile World Congress 2009
<http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/homepage.htm> and see how the
MFORMATION SERVICE MANAGER can help you to transform your business.