RE: RAC application mix

  • From: "Michael McMullen" <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mkline1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 08:43:21 -0400

I inherited a rac in the same situation you did. I find the best way to get
a handle of a system is just to watch what it's doing. I use toad session
browser sorted by active sessions. In a transaction based system I figure if
I can see active sessions then those are the things that are slow in the
system. I also find that users get so used to a slow system that they hardly
complain and if the users are agents and the system is slow and a faster
system means answering more calls then they never complain. Anyhow, the two
node rac I inherited was designed just like yours (lots of multiple logging
going on). I found the things that killed it performance wise were full
table scans by multiple users no matter the size of the table (even a few
KB). I was able to add indexes as how I saw fit and that fixed things fine.
A bug got introduced in the app where the inserts/update/deletes in the
logging table increased by 1000x and the box cruised along just fine, it
went to 5GB/hr redo so it's not as if the system is being taxed to begin
with. But any FTS ended up being a killer for scalability.