Re: RAC and load balancing

  • From: "Don Granaman" <granaman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 13:06:06 -0700

I'm a bit confused...[Nothin' new there..]

How many databases do you have on this cluster?  I assume that you have an
ETL database with an instance on each node and (at least) one "production"
database with an instance on each node.

In general, load balancing via Oracle Net will simply pick an instance for
your session.  It will not split any single session up between instances.
If you use load balancing to submit multiple scripts via multiple sessions,
then it *might* connect different sessions to different instances.  However,
it may or may not result in a performance improvement.  The answer is really
"It depends...".

-Don Granaman
(befuddled) OraSaurus